Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Yesterday I posted our first reason for not having a nursery and children's church at Providence.  If you didn't read it, do so before reading the next of 4 reasons below.

Reason 2: 

            I actually believe babies and children can get something out of the worship services.  I know that it sounds odd, but reason with me a moment.  Pretend I sat my 2 week old baby in front of MTV and let him listen to the music (if it can be called that) on a regular basis until he was 3 or 4 years old.  No one in their right mind would say that he was not being shaped by MTV at least to an extent.  The music, the beat, the words…it all has helped mold who he is at 3 or 4 years old.  On top of that, parents who listen to and watch MTV (AND WE DON’T) would also set an example for and influence the baby and toddler.  Now, if we are convinced that MTV from 2 weeks old to 3 years old would impact our babies…could it not be just as true that songs of worship sung by the parents and the congregation of believers in the ears of the 2 week old until he/she is 3 or 4 could also shape and impact the child and who they become?  Couldn the biblical lyrics to songs sung by the congregation impact and shape that little one?  If so, why not expose them to that experience?  Why not let them hear mom and dad and other adults singing praise to God?  
          I believe they are not only influenced by the music, but also by the preaching.  Obviously I do not believe that an infant or toddler can comprehend an entire sermon, but I do believe they can be influenced and shaped by it.  A pastor friend of mine, Chris Twilley, shared with me about a little one in his congregation.  Here are his words:  "I'm reminded of a little fella who sits on the front row with his mom and dad and brothers and sisters in our fellowship.  Recently I was preaching and I was saying 'only Christ.'  I repeated it a few times and then we heard this little guy say, 'only chwist.'  He is learning a major fundamental truth, that our salvation is found only in Christ and he is blessing our congregation as he says it.  He is years from conversion but the ground work is being laid."  
       Again, I am not condemning churches that have nurseries or children’s churches.  I am simply saying that I believe babies and toddlers benefit more from hearing their families and congregations sing songs of praise than from being confined in a nursery to color and play or in a children’s church with other toddlers.  This is another reason that we do not have a nursery, but there is more…

But you will have to come back tomorrow to hear about it.


No comments: