Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Mystery of Contentment Part 1


Last time, I gave you some of my gleanings from Jeremiah Burrough’s work on Contentment.  In this post, I want to share with you some gleanings from Burrough’s “The Mystery of Contentment.”  There are 9 points that I gleaned from this work that are really challenging and encouraging.  I want to share a portion of them with you today and give you the remainder of them in the coming days, so stay tuned.

The Mystery of Contentment

1.  You never learned the mystery of contentment unless it may be said of you that, just as you are the most contented man, so you are also the most unsatisfied man in the world. A man who has learned the art of contentment is the most contented with any low condition that he has in the world, and yet he cannot be satisfied with the enjoyment of all the world. The only thing that will satisfy His soul is God. 

Phil 4:7-9  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

2.  A Christian makes his way to contentment, not so much by adding to what he has, not by adding more to his condition, but rather by subtracting from his desires, to make his desires and his circumstances even and equal.  A carnal heart knows no way to be contented but this: I have such and such possessions, and if I had this added to them, then I should be contented.  But true contentment comes by subtracting from your desires, not adding to your possessions.

3.  The way of contentment to a carnal heart is only the removing of the affliction.  He must have his situation and circumstances changed in order to be “happy” or “satisfied” or “content.”  But for the believer, there is a power of grace to turn his affliction into good.  This outlook takes away the sting of the trial, affliction, circumstance, or lack.  For the believer knows that all things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose.  Christianity will teach you how to turn your poverty to spiritual riches. 

4.  A carnal heart thinks, I must have what I want or I will never be content.  But a gracious heart asks, What is my duty in these circumstances God has put me into?  What does the Bible say I should be doing during this lack?  My duty is not to pout until my circumstances change, but be obedient to God in the circumstances He has put me in.  Others spend their thoughts on things that disturb and disquiet them, and so they grow more and more discontented.  Let me spend my thoughts in thinking what my duty is.

5.  It is not by having his own desires satisfied that the Christian is content, but by melting his will and desires into God’s will.

Stay tuned for part 2.  It only gets better!

No comments: