Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Years Resolutions

Jonathan Edwards was a pastor who lived in the 1700's from Northampton, MA.  He was one of the key leaders in America's first great awakening.  He was famous for his sermon, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God."  He has written many works and inspired multitudes.  Encyclopedia Brittanica calls him the greatest mind that America has ever produced.  He is one of my heroes in the faith and has inspired much of my theology.

Here are 11 resolutions I adapted from Jonathan Edwards’ 70 resolutions. He wrote many of these in his early 20’s and I have read them off and on for the past 5 to 10 years. This year, I have taken some of my favorites, tweaked them a bit and listed them for you here. I hope you enjoy.


1. Resolved, never to do anything in soul or body, but what brings glory to God.

2. Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it as much as I possibly can; to live with all my might, while I live.

3. Resolved, never to do anything, which I would be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life or if the last trump were about to blow; to live as I will wish I had done when I come to die.

4. Resolved, if I take delight in anything as a gratification of pride, or vanity, or on any such account, immediately to throw it by.

5. Resolved, never to speak evil of or dishonor anyone for any reason except for some real good.

6. Resolved, to maintain the strictest temperance in eating and drinking.

7. Resolved, to study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, that I may, without question, grow in the knowledge of the Word.

8. Resolved, to inquire every night, as I am going to bed, where I have been negligent, what sin I have committed, and how I have denied myself: also at the end of every week, month and year; to ask myself at the end of every day, week, month and year, how I could possibly have done better.

9. Resolved, never from this day forward to act as if I were any way my own, but entirely and altogether God's

10. Resolved, never to give over, nor in the least to slacken my fight with my corruptions, however unsuccessful I may be.

11. Resolved, after trials and afflictions, to ask, if I am better off from them, what good I have got by them, and what I could have got by them that I didn’t. If you want to read them all you can go to my blog at kevinivy.com where they are posted.

You can find all 70 of Edwards’ resolutions at the following link. I would highly recommend you read them today! http://www.apuritansmind.com/christianwalk/ResolutionsOfJonathanEdwards.htm

Have a happy and holy 2011!

No comments: