Monday, February 18, 2008

The Reformed Pastor

Why did I choose to call my blog "the reformed pastor?" It all began with a love of the Puritans. When most people think of the Puritans they immediately think of the Salem witch trials and solemn looking men in all black. That is a very unfortunate misconception, to say the least. The Puritans were theological giants, and reading the works of Puritan pastors will take you deeper in your faith, will challenge you more, and will stretch you farther than virtually any of the best sellers of the 21st century. The Purpose Driven Life, the Left Behind series, and the latest Max Lucado contribution cannot compare to the great Puritan works like "The Mortification of Sin" by John Owen, "The Doctrine of Repentance" by Thomas Watson, and "A Call to the Unconverted” by Richard Baxter. Reading the works of the Puritans will not only change your opinion of them, but will change the depth of your spirituality as well.

One of the Puritans that I have been introduced to over the years is a man by the name of Richard Baxter. Sadly, I never heard of him until I had already been in ministry for 10 years. Sadly, I have asked every single one of my pastor friends if they have heard of him and none had. I would venture to say that you have probably never heard of him either. Richard Baxter was pastor of the church at Kidderminster in England for two years before the civil war between the Parliament and Royalists broke out (1641-1642) and another fourteen years after the war (1647-60). Baxter spent two years in the army as a chaplain but in February 1647, his health (which he had suffered with for virtually his entire life) collapsed, and he was no longer able to remain in the army. Upon his return to Kidderminster, revival broke out. The church at Kidderminster grew dramatically under his leadership. Baxter wrote in his autobiography, "We were fain to build five galleries after my coming thither. When I came thither first there was about one family in a street that worshipped God and called on his name, and when I came away there were some streets where there was not passed one family in the side of a street that did not so." God used Baxter’s pastoral ministry in a mighty way. He used and is using his writing ministry in even greater ways.

Baxter was scheduled to preach to his fellow pastors in Worcestershire, but due to his ill health was unable to deliver his message. He therefore wrote the manuscript which became The Reformed Pastor (Today we would call it The Revived Pastor). In this work he presented a stirring appeal to be reformed, or revived, in life and practice. He was concerned to see a spiritually renewed, revived ministry that would be used of God to bring greater spiritual vigor to the churches.

I read a copy of Baxter’s The Reformed Pastor and without a doubt placed it on my top-ten list of books. It challenged me personally and pastorally. J.I. Packer, in his book A Quest for Godliness, wrote "The words of Baxter's Reformed Pastor have hands and feet. They climb all over you; they work their way into your heart and conscience, and will not be dislodged." That is what happened to me when I read the book. I went out and bought myself a personal copy of the book and have made it a goal to read it each year and to take our staff through its pages as well in the near future (they will be so excited). Anyway, there you have it. That is why my blog is called, The Reformed Pastor. You can be sure you will hear more out of the Puritans, and maybe even Richard Baxter in the future. Until then…stay pure.

1 comment:

Loren said...

Looking forward to being encouraged through your blog, even though we can't be involved in the other aspects of your ministry at Cleary. I've been doing lots of reading lately, and now you've given a couple more books to add to my list. It sure is nice to be able to get stuff cheap from amazon.com!